Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Dal kale and a craft project

          Kale is a nutrient rich super vegetable. Kale is king of the veggie world. I have been substituting  Kale for palak in recipes like palak paneer, keerai masiyal, poritcha keerai etc.Yesterday I made dal palak with kale instead of spinach.My dal palak is rustic and organic.This is almost an everyday food for many Indian households.


 Dal Kale
Moong dal- 3 tbsps
Kale one bunch(large leafed)
Jeera -1/2tsp
Green chilli  chopped fine-3 (more if you like spicy)
Ginger 1" finely diced
Garlic 1 pod finely chopped(optional)
Onion medium finely chopped
Two medium tomatoes diced
Juice of half lemon
Asafoetida a pinch
Turmeric powder1/2tsp
Salt to taste
Oil as needed to saute

Method-
1. Remove the thick veins and stalk of kale (if you got the packed salad variety then skip this step). Finely chop the kale and cook along with moong dal with a turmeric and just enough water to soak the dal (in a pressure cooker).
2. In a saute pan, heat a little oil and sputter jeera ,then add the green chilli, ginger, asafoetida, garlic and finally onion. Once the onion is cooked transparent add the tomatoes and let it cook till the raw tomato smell is gone.
3. Add the cooked dal and kale in the pan adding salt as needed. Switch off flame after just a minute.
4. Add the juice of half a lime  and mix well.For those who don't like too much texture can use a hand blender to mash the subzi a little.I like it as it is.
Dal kale is ready to serve with either rice or chapati.
Rustic but whole some. Susvaad.

     In other news, I have been working on my first crochet / felting project and today I finally got it done. Not perfect but a great first time project, if I say so myself.I found this kit at the craft store. It is called One stick,Two stick Sushi Wallet. It comes with a gift tag and extra yarn to make key-chains .

    

No comments:

Post a Comment