onion 1 big
cumin-corinader powder 1 1/2 tsps
turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
chilli powder 1 tsp
salt to taste
jaggery 1/2 tsp
Oil 1 tsp
potatoes 3 big
3 slices of whole wheat bread
salt to taste
Oil for shallow frying
Tamarind-date chutney 1/2 cup
green chilli chutney 2 tbsps or per taste
garlic chutney (optional)/tomato-mint chutney as needed
fine sev for crunch 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves chopped 1/2 cup
1. Soak the peas / vatana at least 5-6 hours in water. Rinse and cook in a pressure cooker with water,turmeric powder and a little salt.
2. In a deep pan, heat a little oil and saute onions till translucent. Add the cooked peas, add the other ingredients for the Ragda and let cook together for 3-4 minutes. Take off heat and set aside.
1. Dip the slices of bread in water and squeeze out the water completely.
2. Boil the potatoes along with the vatana / peas but separately. Peel and mash the potatoes.
3. Knead the potatoes and bread together, add salt as needed .
4. Make medallion size patties with this mixture.
5.Heat oil in a shallow frying pan ,shallow fry the patties on both sides till they are crisp on the outside and hold firm. Drain and place on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
Place about 3-4 patties on a plate. Ladle a big spoonful of Ragda on each patties. Add a spoon full of tamarind date chutney,green chilli chutney and garlic chutney. Finally top it with some crunchy sev, finely chopped coriander and serve. Susvaad.